Monday, September 22, 2014

The Monday Sunday Roundup: OH CAPTAIN MY CAPTAIN

I'm not writing this entry in the best of moods, ladies and germs.  After I got off work, I was driving to a local fast food eatery to get some breakfast, and in the middle of a busy street I saw a dead cat.  Poor guy just couldn't make it across the road.  Dead animals on the road always bum me out.  Don't get me wrong, I ain't no hippie, but I do like to think I have some closet animal-lover in me.  Even a dead skunk can ruin my mood for an hour.  Anyway...

EDIT:  I forgot to mention this upon first posting, but R.I.P. to Rob Bironas, former kicker for the Tennessee Titans.  He was the embodiment of "steady if unspectacular."  He was killed in a car accident on Saturday night.  For what it's worth, this blog sends its condolences to Bironas' family.

1.  If there were skeptics that thought Kirk Cousins is not the best quarterback on the Washington Redskins roster, after yesterday they are either no longer skeptics or they are morons.  Sure, the Redskins lost.  It was expected.  The fact that they didn't stumble and bumble their way to a complete blowout should tell you something, because that happened against the Eagles twice last year.  Common denominator?  Captain Kirk wasn't in either game.  The scores of those games looked close, but trust me, they were blowouts, with all the points Washington scored coming in garbage time.  Not yesterday!  They played like a bunch of frothing, rabid.. uh, Indians against their division rival, and came very close to winning.  The defense, despite giving up 37 points, looked like an actual defense with actual defensive players on it.  It looked like something that could be built upon.  I don't like losing to the Eagles, but aside from that interception Cousins threw in the fourth, this had the look of a dangerous and motivated team.  Don't get me started on the Chris Baker penalty/ejection or the fight that ensued afterward; it was technically a live play and he was throwing a block against an opposing player.  But whatever.  It really had no bearing on the outcome of the game because the play was overturned anyway.  The Redskins may as well go ahead and throw poor RG3 on injured reserve so they can free up a roster spot; if there is any sort of justice in the universe, he's already lost his job.  That doesn't make me happy, per se, but it's official:  this is Kirk Cousins' team now, for better or for worse.

2.  The bloom is off the rose in San Francisco.  The honeymoon is over in San Francisco.  There has to be another cliche I can use to say that Jim Harbaugh has worn out his welcome in San Francisco.  His manic coaching style was probably annoying to the team on the best of days, but as long as they were winning and appearing in three straight NFC title games, nobody was gonna say anything because his methods, to an extent, worked.  They're not working anymore.  Hey, I know it was Arizona, and right now Arizona can make a legitimate claim to being the best team in the league, but these are the kinds of games the 49ers have always won the last three years.  If Harbaugh has lost this team, he is finished.  And if that is indeed the case, I'm not optimistic about the future of one Colin Kaepernick, his 94% Cutler Scale rating notwithstanding.  

3.  The First Round Punter's © second-favorite team, the Houston Texans, apparently thought that stabbing good ol' Zane through the heart was a good idea yesterday.  I only caught glimpses of this game because I was IN THE ZONE SON watching the Redskins/Eagles, but that loss to the New York Giants was inexcusable.  Ryan Fitzpatrick has had enough steamers (bad games; the reference is to a steaming pile of poo) in his career so that him having another one should come as no surprise, but he's also had enough so that you would know by now that he's not allowed to have anymore before he gets his ass yanked off the field forever.  The whole team just looked sluggish and unmotivated, i.e. the anti-Redskins.  Maybe it was an aberration.  Maybe Houston goes 15-1 in Fitzpatrick's MVP campaign.  Maybe I haven't had enough sleep since yesterday.  Either way, everyone do shame fingers in Juan's direction.

4.  This cat (AND CERTAINLY NOT THE AUTHOR OF THIS POST BY GUM) put Russell Wilson on his fantasy football bench and inserted Cam Newton.  See how ashamed he is?  He's a bad boy.



That's all I got for Sunday.  So tonight!  Chicago Bears vs New York Jets.  The last game I watched between these two teams featured the most impressive pass I've ever seen, and serves as the prime inspiration for the Cutler Scale.  Jay Cutler was standing on the 48 yard line (or something like that), and it looked like he flicked his wrist slightly.  Next thing I know Johnny Knox is in the back of the end zone getting destroyed by a ball that hits him square in the numbers.  I jumped up and cheered.  I couldn't believe what I just saw.  Nowadays, there is no Johnny Knox in Chicago and I don't hate Rex Ryan as much as I did back then, because there's a huge wave of indifference there because he doesn't talk as much as he used to, and also because I've actually come to appreciate how he gets the best out of a crop of consistently bad players.  I still liked him more when he was fat, though.

Everyone have a great week.  Keep reading, spread the word, and I'll catch up later!

No comments: